The ALCAP and ACB Boards seek a successor to Executive Director Dr. Joe Godfrey, who recently announced his retirement from both organizations. The target date for the new Director-Elect to begin is October 1, 2021. Alabama Citizens Action Program (ALCAP) is an interdenominational ministry (501c4) formed in 1937 to unite citizens in Alabama concerned about the total moral climate of Alabama. ALCAP serves as Alabama’s moral compass for Christian ethics and religious liberties throughout the state. Formed in 2010, American Character Builders (501c3) provides evidence-based educational programs for public and private schools. These programs, as well as Bible studies written by ACB, also are available for churches. Click on the American Character Builders tab for for information on this organization.
The following describes many of the characteristics of the ideal candidate for Executive Director:
- Is a growing disciple of Jesus Christ who is recognized and respected in the Christian and church community.
- Is a person of integrity, humility, and responsibility.
- Is an unashamed spokesman for biblical ethics and values.
- Possesses excellent communication skills in writing, preaching, and speaking.
- Is fully supportive of the moral positions and values of ALCAP and ACB and passionate for the vision and mission of both organizations.
- Willing to invest in a long-term leadership role with the organizations.
- Able to connect and collaborate with other Christian denominations who share both organizations’ missions.
- Preferably, has earned an undergraduate and master’s degree.
- Preferably, the experienced candidate is an ordained Southern Baptist minister.
- Provide executive leadership for both ALCAP and ACB by overseeing the organizations, budgets, office, and staff.
- Encourage churches to place ALCAP in their budget and work with various denominations that support ALCAP and American Character Builders.
- Advance the educational ministry of ACB according to the mission and objective of the organization.
- Serve as a minister to legislators, their spouses, office personnel in the Alabama State House, and other lobbyists.
- Lobby the Alabama legislators concerning bills of concern to ALCAP and Alabama churches and call for public hearings when necessary.
- Speak on bills and the moral issues within ALCAP’s purview in the media; write press releases and op-eds for local news outlets; accept invitations to speak at gatherings such as women’s and men’s groups, civic clubs, and political events (as long as the event is in keeping with ALCAP’s values and you remain non-partisan in your views and statements).
- Work with other ethical and family-friendly organizations that share ALCAP and ACB’s values.
To apply and receive a complete job description and salary range information, please send cover letter and resume to ALCAP.Search@gmail.com or mail to ALCAP & ACB, 2376 Lakeside Drive, Birmingham, AL 35244. All information will be kept confidential. Applicants must be willing to submit to a background screening.
Click here for a printable copy of this announcement.